It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be possible . . .
     
     Jude 1:20 says we are to build ourselves up in our faith. That's what I was doing when I was driving home from not buying a laptop. I thought I had saved enough money only to find out they were a lot more than I thought, minus software. I had spent the last several months working on my unpublished novel without one.
     I started writing it out in longhand at home. Now when I say "at home", what I mean is I was sitting at a little table I had dug from the hairiest, scariest corner of our basement. I took that little table and painted it and put it in our spare dining room.  Near a basketball hoop. No, I'm not kidding.  I sat at my 'desk' with a Chucky Cheese style hoop within a couple feet of my chair. That's how I started.
     Then, once I had written it out I needed to type it. Well, that wouldn't work on our old, slow laptop with its way outdated word processing program. So, I started taking myself to the library (on my days off) and sat for hours at a time typing, typing, typing.
     Shortly after the not-purchasing-a-laptop incident, a friend of mine told me about Google Docs. So I went back to the store, bought a Chrome book, and promptly set it up and got to work. It wasn't long after that that my in laws graciously gave me a desk they no longer needed. So there I was typing on my Chrome book at a real desk, Chucky Cheese hoop gone (thanks, hubby!).
     Before I knew it my novel was done. I had went from sitting at a non-desk desk, by a basketball hoop, in a non-dining room dining room, writing with pencil, to a desk and a laptop, to being done.  Done! One year later and I had written a full length novel.
     Now I am sitting at my desk getting myself out there on social media because I am getting my book published! What a thrill!!  And how amazingly far things have come. I say all this to say that sometimes we have a goal or a dream that seems unreachable. It seems impossible. There are too many hurdles. We're too old or too young. Or we don't have the finances. And on and on it goes.
     But sometimes, all we have to do is have a little faith. We have to believe it's possible. We have to whisper a prayer and take a step. This race of faith isn't all about running to the end. Sometimes we have to walk. Sometimes we have to crawl. Once in a while, it's an inch by inch army crawl with our face in the mud. It doesn't matter. Movement is movement.
     So keep praying. Keep believing. Keep pushing. It may not happen today, or next month, or next year.  But if you truly believe God has given you a gift or a dream, you owe to yourself (and to Him) to find out. Don't sit on that talent. Don't bury it in the ground. God gave you something and He wants you make something out of it. He wants to make something out of you.
     So be encouraged today! Say a prayer, take a breath, and then take a step. Or take a leap! Either way, trust God and know that if He whispers something to your heart then there's a reason. So just go for it!

Love,
     J <3

 

Comments

Popular Posts