Potatoes

     Confession: I hate to cook. I dislike the whole ordeal; planning the meals, buying the food, making the food, cooking the food, cleaning up after the food. Ugh! I do love to eat, though. One thing I like to eat? Potatoes!
     Potatoes are great because you can buy an entire bag and get a couple of meals out of them. They're healthy (I don't care what all the haters say. God made potatoes and potatoes are good!). They do take a lot of prep with all the peeling and chopping. Aside from that, I'm a huge fan.
     So I'm going to share a couple of my favorite potato recipes. Because honestly, I'm always on the hunt for something inexpensive, easy, and at least semi-healthy for dinner. And I'm certain you are, too.

Cheesy Potatoes
1-2 can cheese soup or 1 can cheese sauce (such as Ragu) or 1 jar salsa con queso (yum!)
6-8 good size potatoes cubed or sliced
1 1/2 C milk
1/4 C butter

Mix milk and cheese sauce. Place mixture, butter, and potatoes in a large, greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour, 20 minutes. Stir halfway through to ensure all the potatoes are cooked evenly.

Options: You can also add browned hamburger or cooked diced ham to make it heartier (I would not suggest doing that if you're using queso . . . unless you're the adventurous sort).

Crispy Roasted Potatoes
3 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbs dried minced onion
salt and pepper to taste

For some unfortunate reason, I did not write down on my recipe card how many potatoes. That said, I usually add more olive oil and seasonings as I go.

Mix olive oil and seasonings and set aside. Grease a glass casserole dish. Cube potatoes and coat them with olive oil and seasoning mix. If potatoes are not coated well enough, add more olive oil/seasoning mix (Keep the mix within the specified proportions. Otherwise, they may be too salty, garlicky, etc.).

Bake for 1 hour at 425 F.
Again, stir/mix halfway through. You don't want the ones on the bottom to get overly crispy. (Or maybe you do. So just do you.)

Bonus Recipe: Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 TBS chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 TBS dried minced onion
1/4 tsp salt (or grind some sea salt in there)
1/4 tsp pepper

This is for roughly one pound of hamburger, so adjust accordingly. Use it like you would a regular packet of taco seasoning. Toss the seasonings into your meat with about 2/3 C of water and mix. Heat thoroughly until the water is mostly gone. And tuh-dum! Tacos!

I hope you find one recipe here that you like. If not, I understand. It takes me scouring two or three cookbooks just to find one recipe I actually try more than once. 😜

Have a great week!

Love ya,
J💙

Comments

Popular Posts