My Writing Process

Every author has a writing process. They can vary greatly. The important thing is for the process to work for that writer. Today, I thought I'd share mine.


For me, I try to only write on days that I don't work. I know this isn't practical for everyone. Fortunately, my work schedule changes week to week. If I'm not working my regular job, I'm at my desk working on my writing.


This is usually how it plays out . . .

*wax melter on

*warm up some coffee or make hot tea

*eat a quick snack

*find an ambience on Ambient Mixer that goes with my writing but is not distracting

*a quick prayer (Jesus help me!)

*go over my notes of things to fix, change, or remember

*reorient myself with where I left off

*tweak what I wrote last or dive right in to the next chapter

*write for four hours (my sweet spot)

*wrap up shortly after hubs gets home

*leave myself notes for next time

Later, I write any ideas that pop into my head on post-its. They are always all over my desk. I trash them as needed. If I'm not at home, I scribble my ideas down on a small sheet of paper or draft a text on my cell phone.

And that's pretty much it. Routine, dedication, and dreaming things up.

Now, if I could only find some paper!



*


Currently Reading:


The Selection series by Kiera Cass.

I just started The Elite. It's set in a future United States that has a caste system, as well as a royal family. When America Singer is chosen for the Selection, she must participate in a contest (very much like the show The Bachelor) to win the prince's heart and the crown. Only America isn't sure she even wants to be there on the heels of her recent breakup. But when she meets Prince Maxon, well, let's just say I hope she changes her mind!



*



Song I'm Listening to:

Shirtsleeves by Ed Sheeran

Who would have thought I'd listen to Ed Sheeran? It's from a playlist that is supposedly Kiera's Selection playlist. Sadly, it's the only song on the list I've spent any real time listening to!



Have Friday, friends!
--J




*****Available on Amazon. Pick up your copy today!*****


Comments

Popular Posts