My Girl Power Playlist & Other Random Things

I thought I'd start out today's blog with my Girl Power playlist. It's been a little dreary out. I've needed a pick me up. Maybe you do too!


Fighter, Christina Aguilera

Roar, Katy Perry

Salute, Little Mix

Sit Still, Look Pretty, Daya

Stronger, Kelly Clarkson

Fight Song, Rachel Platten

PG song--Run the World (Girls), Beyonce


It also works well as a workout playlist!


*****


Style I'm sporting:

90's grunge . . . sort of


I'm not one to revisit old styles from high school. But I still love a cute tank and an open button up shirt. It's like the shirt and cardigan's free spirited cousin, twice removed.

Speaking of high school, Jaime French posted a video on FB entitled "If Beauty YouTubers Existed in 1999." It's hilarious!
Not gonna lie, I was all about that shimmery white eyeshadow and butterfly hair clips. Oh, and hoop earrings! Let's bring those back.


*****


Book I just finished:

Umbertouched by Livia Blackburne


I really liked this series. I wish there was a third book! But, alas, it looks like there isn't.

I enjoyed Zivah and Dineas's story. However, I wish there had been more romance, and that the ending was a bit brighter. I don't like Hallmarky stories, but I do like a bit of a bow at the end. I'm always a little sad when I don't at least have the impression they lived happily ever after.

⭐⭐⭐⭐
That said, four stars!


*****


Books I'm reading next:

The Caged Queen by Kristen Ciccarelli
I loved The Last Namsara. I can't wait for this second book in the Iskari series to arrive.


I'm still working on re-reading Siren's Song. I put it aside for awhile to finish Umbertouched.


I'm planning on starting Alice's Adventures in Wonderland shortly. I prefer the Tim Burton version of the movie. My favorite scene is when Alice lists off all the impossible things that she experienced. She finishes her list up with, "I can slay a Jabberwocky," as she heads off to do just that.



*****


Book sale books I purchased:

Joan of Arc by Mark Twain


Who knows if I'll read this whole thing. It's really long and the font is small! I heard somewhere that it may have been Twain's greatest work. And Joan is such an intriguing historical figure. This will likely go on the red stool I use as an end table to be picked up and read in short spurts when the mood strikes me.


Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book
(1950)



I'm a fan of old Betty Crocker cookbooks. This edition has a number of cute retro drawings. So adorable!

I also own the 1980 edition.


My mom and grandma both have burnt orange ones like this. I grew up flipping through my mom's. When I got engaged to my husband, I knew I had to have a copy. I paid twenty-five dollars for it used on Amazon in all its dog chewed glory (seriously, the corners look like they have actual bite marks!).

Luckily my "new" cookbook only cost me fifty cents. Yay for library book sales!


*****


Quote of the week:

Give yourself time to heal. You will not feel this way forever.
--Girl Be Brave (via Instagram)


*****


April is National Poetry Month:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

--Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost


*****


Isaiah 52:14-15 (NRSVCE)

14 
Just as there were many who were astonished at him
    —so marred was his appearance, beyond human semblance,

    and his form beyond that of mortals—
15 
so he shall startle many nations;
    kings shall shut their mouths because of him;
for that which had not been told them they shall see,
    and that which they had not heard they shall contemplate.



Have a blessed Good Friday.

And . . .

Happy Easter!


He is Risen!

--J <3





Comments

Popular Posts