Writers Are Weird

Writers Are Weird

*We are very protective of our writing time. If you must approach us, bring treats. Or maybe a puppy. A soft, soothing voice helps too. Otherwise, interrupt at your own risk.

*We secretly hope no one ever checks our search histories. How else are we supposed to learn how to kill a character off in a realistic way? It's called research, people!

*We're obsessed with notebooks. Journals. Diaries. Really any kind of bound paper.

*Inspiration strikes us at unusual times. I've drafted texts at church or in bed. I might scribble a note and shove it in my pocket at work. I slap ideas on post-its.
When you're elbow deep in dish water is a great time for inspiration to strike. I suggest just bringing the notebook in the kitchen because the minute you get back to the sink . . . poof! the next idea pops in your head.

*We act out scenes to better visualize them.
Me: *sits on the floor with a butter knife between my palms*
Me: Which angle would work better for knife throwing with bound hands?

*We're a cyclone of organized chaos.
Hey, I know where all my notes are!
Mostly.

*We are either plotters or pantsters.
Plotter: A person who plans out their whole book in great detail.
Pantster: A person who writes by the seat of their pants.
All of us are a bit of both, but tend to lean one way more than the other. I'm more of a pantster. My planning takes place mostly in my head and post-it note scribbles. I know I'm going from A to B, but I don't always know what that will look like. I just type and let it flow.

*Many of us are introverts yet are on multiple social media platforms. Social media. We market our books and promote/squeal over each others. It's a great way to get/receive encouragement and writing tips. A little community of like minded people that hasn't actually met many of the people they interact with.

*We're wondering if that comma goes their or not too. The difference is we spend ten minutes focusing on it.

*We have strong opinions on whether writing with music is good or not. Some authors can't because it distracts them. I'm pro music. It should be noted that with A Desperate Love I listened to a lot of NF. This time around I'm all about ambiences. Ocean and rain sounds are where it's at. With my current WIP I get annoyed if I'm hearing actual singing.

*We have wild imaginations. I mean, we kind of have to.

*We are passionate about our writing, but are often our own worst critics. Encourage us! We're prone to self-doubt.

*We love all the creative whimsy things.
Art
             Music
                    Words
                            Movies
                                                       Books (obviously!)

*Our books are our babies. We've imagined them, grown them, raised them, then sent them out into the world to live their lives. We're proud of them.


*****


Book I'm absolutely devouring:

The Caged Queen by Kristen Ciccarelli


This is book 2 in the Iskari series.

Roa marries the king to save her people from poverty. An old flame attempts to convince her that her husband is anything but good, while offering her a way to free her sister who has been trapped in the form of a hawk for years.
However, to free Essie, she'll have kill the king--who is a childhood friend--or risk losing her sister forever.
What will she decide?


*****


Song I'm listening to:

In Over my Head by Jenn Johnson (Bethel Music)


So pretty!



Have a great weekend, friends.

Love, J 💙

Comments

Popular Posts