Resources and Inner Dialogue



I thought I'd start off today by sharing what we'll call "resources for writers." These are the places I frequent online that help me with writing and marketing. If you're a budding writer, you should check them out!

*Blogger
Obviously. But honestly, it does not cost you a single dime to use Blogger. I'm all for that, honey!

*Pablo.buffer.com
Pablo has tons of photos you can use for free. I use it all the time now for quotes on my blog (see picture above). It's not as versatile as Publisher, but it's great if you want to create something simple and quick. You can also upload your own photo and add text.

*Ambient-mixer.com
I use this when I want to create atmosphere for a writing session but don't want the distraction song lyrics. There are all kinds of sounds. You can even create your own mixes.

*YouTube
Oh my gosh, so many things! There's music galore to get you in the writing mood. If you need to do research, say you need to know how a particular bird looks in flight or how to sharpen a knife or how to give someone a roundhouse kick to the face, you can find a video on it! (I may or may not have watched one of these.)
If you're looking for writing tips I highly suggest subscribing to Nadine Brandes's channel. She gives great advice, from getting an agent to self-editing your manuscript.

*Google Docs
I didn't know this until a friend told me but, if you have gmail, you have Docs. It's a Word-like program that lets you create and save documents online.
Side note: Let me speak from experience for a minute. When you begin editing, you will likely have to transfer your WIP to Word and work only from Word as things aren't 100% the same between the two.

*Pinterest
Every time I'm working on a story I set up a secret board for that project. I pin lots of visuals to help inspire me and keep me on track with the characters and storyline.

*Instagram
I love Instagram!
A lot of authors give writing advice here. You can usually find it in their stories or highlights.
Following authors on social media (in any form) is a great way to learn more about the craft and how to market! Think of them as your mentors. I know I do!💙

Bonus:
*Blogs and newsletters.
This is not something I'm big into, but again, a wonderful way to find writing advice and the like!



******


My challenge to you this week:

I want you to pay attention to your inner dialogue.

What are you telling yourself? What are you saying to the Lord?

I ask this because I've picked up on something I say to the Lord.
"Forgive my failings."
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, why I was praying that hit me like a ton of bricks. Usually I'm praying this not after an actual failure, but because I sense someone else is not happy with me or disagrees with my action or personal assessment of things. As if their displeasure equates to sin on my part! My fear that someone has a poor opinion of me has been driving me to ask God for forgiveness! Based on an opinion! Not on a black and white right or wrong. On. An. Opinion. A difference in our interpretation of a situation. Sometimes I'm doing this when I perceive they are displeased.
Guys, what on earth?!
The wild thing is, I'm not a people pleaser. A rule follower? Sure. A person who generally colors inside the lines? Yep. But a people pleaser? No.
And yet, here I am unconsciously twisting someone else's thoughts into something that says I've done a terrible wrong. Guys, our standing with God is based, not on man's standards or opinions, but on the unfailing Word of God!
So please, take a moment this week and listen to that inner dialogue (whether your thoughts about life or yourself, or your prayers) and see if they line up with the infallible Word. If not, toss them out! Ain't no believer got time for that!


Love,
--J





Comments

Popular Posts