Chicken * Scandi * Steal * Trouble

 In lieu of sharing the music I'm listening to on this post (I've been listening to a lot of podcasts), I thought I'd share a Faroese proverb. I did an Ancestry test last year and learned that two to three percent of my DNA comes from Scandinavia, including the Faroe Islands. My favorite thing as of late is to scroll through pictures of this beautiful place on Instagram. And when I say beautiful, I mean absolutely breathtaking. The Faroes are volcanic islands with waterfalls, cliffs, valleys, and fjords; and I can't get enough.

"A chicken likes her own eggs best."

--Faroese proverb

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but it made me chuckle. ๐Ÿ”



What I'm reading . . .


North: How to Live Scandinavian by Bronte Aurell

Nonfiction

Are you sensing a theme here?๐Ÿ˜‰This is the first nonfiction I've read this year that I haven't wanted to put down at some point or struggled to finish. It was interesting, easy to read, and had a delightful dash of humor. If you're looking to learn about all things Scandi, this is the read for you!

Highly recommend!


Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon

Nonfiction

Just to be clear, this book is not about stealing from other creatives. Kleon suggests that most art "builds on what came before". He advises the reader to ". . . chew on one thinker--writer, artist, activist, role model--you really love. Study everything there is to know about that thinker."


The Trouble With Hating You by Sajni Patel

Contemporary Romance

"You're the madness I need, the passion I breathe, the spark that brings me to life. I will go wherever you are."

I first heard about this book on The Happy Writer podcast. I don't generally read contemporary or romance. Books are for escape so . . . yeah. I tend to gravitate toward fantasy or historical fiction. However, this book intrigued me. An outspoken, independent woman from an Indian family who's blind sided at dinner with a guest they hope she'll consider for marriage? Yes, please!

To make matters worse, Liya literally runs into Jayesh as she escapes out the back door. And that's not the half of it. When Liya shows up for work on Monday, the lawyer who is helping her company is none other than Jay!

I loved how Jay saw the worth in Liya, even when she didn't see it in herself. He supported her, made her feel safe, and helped her break down the walls around her heart.


A few notes for sensitive readers:

*This book contains references to sexual assault. 

*I'm giving it a PG-13 rating for language and content.


Blessings,

๐Ÿ’œ

Comments

Popular Posts