Not My Monkeys

 

"Not my circus, not my monkeys."

--Polish proverb


I like this quote because it reminds me that not everything is my responsibility. I might want to worry about something or try and fix it, but that doesn't mean I should. Is it my circus? Am I the ringmaster? Am I in the act or watching from the stands? My level of involvement should determine my actions. I don't know about you, but if I'm in the audience enjoying my cotton candy, I'm not going to offer to put my head in the lion's mouth.



What I've been reading . . .


Jump by Steve Harvey

Nonfiction

Audiobook

Re-read

Based off a viral video of Steve talking to the audience of Family Feud about the importance of opening your gift (you can Google it!), it's an inspiration/motivational book that's short and easy to read. Definite recommend.


Amish Werewolves of Space by Kerry Nietz

(Peril in Plain Space #3)

Science Fiction

"He also said not to let others define you. Let God do that."

I've said it before but it's worth repeating. Kerry does an amazing job of blending these two genres (SF & Amish). I've enjoyed every book in this series.


Fable by Adrienne Young

YA Fantasy

Fable duology, Book 1

"But if we were going to do this, I would have to be his safe harbor and he would have to be mine."

Fable is a dredger (she mines gems from the ocean) living on the island of thieves her father abandoned her on. She longs to make it off the island and join her father as part of his crew. Enter the brooding West, her unhappy-to-have-her-onboard ticket out of the Narrows.

Between the thief island and the trading company rivalries, there are heavy pirate vibes in this book! Ships, danger, treasure. Annnd . . . romance.💙Friends, I cannot wait for book two! Namesake releases on March 16, 2021.

Bonus: If you're a writer whose looking for a community of fellow writers, Adrienne is starting the #findmywritingcommunity on her Instagram on Wednesday, October 14. She'll be doing a live with @kristindwyer on her IG the night before.


Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

YA Fantasy

Audiobook

Re-read

I know, I've read Sky four times. So why am I listening to the audiobook? It has Vikings and battles. It's beautiful and heartbreaking. The real question is why wouldn't I?


Cry of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse

(The Ravenwood Saga #3)

Fantasy

"Both courage and fear can spread like a wildfire."

I like happy endings and this book didn't disappoint. Selene and Damien's romance is sweet, and they fight for the love they've gained through unusual circumstances. The final book wraps the story up in a nice bow and gives you hope certain characters will eventually turn to the Light.



Music I have on repeat . . .


"Til the Light Goes Out" by Lindsey Stirling

"Moments Passed" by Dermot Kennedy



Blessings,

J 💙



Comments

Popular Posts