A Quick Writing Update

"Sister, do not give up! Do not give in! The struggle and the fight are worth it."

--Chika Anyanwu 


Writing update . . . Friends, I wrapped up revisions on draft two of my WIP this week! I'm currently taking a two week break before reading through it to look for any big problems that may still exist. After that I'll move on to smaller details and grammar.

I've been working on this book for so long. It's definitely been one small step at a time. However, there are a few silver linings. During the lock down I realized I can, in fact, squeeze in a considerable amount of writing during the week. I also discovered an editing process that works for me after struggling with several hard to wrangle chapters.

All that to say, I've made some major progress and am hoping to start querying by spring. Yaaay!!! To celebrate, I've added my playlist for this project on Spotify. I'm calling it "CoR" (because mysterious author secrecy). You'll find my playlist for A Desperate Love too. And Viking music. For reals.



What I've been reading...


Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman

Graphic Novel

I actually heard about this on an episode of The Big Bang Theory. The story is set in the seventeenth century in England and America. If you're unfamiliar with the Marvel universe like I am (DC girl!), there's a handy character guide inside.


Bone Crier's Moon by Kathryn Purdie

(Bone Grace #1)

YA Fantasy

A secret society of women known as Bone Criers ferry the souls of the dead to the afterlife. To prove their loyalty, they must summon their one true love (amore) and kill them within a year's time, otherwise they both die. When Ailesse is kidnapped by her amore, her best friend makes it her personal mission to save her.

My absolute favorite thing about this story is how Sabine overcomes her fears. She has never had the courage to do what is required of her as a Bone Crier. But when her friend's life is at stake, she does for Ailesse what she couldn't do for herself. Talk about sisterly love!


Dust by Kara Swanson

(Heirs of Neverland #1)

YA Fantasy

"Couldn't we talk about something cheerful for once? Like...cake?

Cake is cheerful. Cake isn't trying to kill me."

Peter is stuck in England. He wants to get back to Neverland. Fast. The boy who never grew up is...getting facial hair? Claire has been searching for her brother for the past six years. To her utter shock, she learns his favorite fairy tale is true. Her brother was taken by none other than Peter Pan. When Ben Kensington offers to help Claire master her dust and take her to Neverland, she's on board. Unfortunately, Ben is hiding a secret.

This is the Young Adult retelling of Peter Pan you've been waiting for! It's true enough to the original to be nostalgic while being its own unique story. It will make you smile and pull your heartstrings. Pick this one up!


How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories by Holly Black

(The Folk of the Air #3.5 || Cardan novella)

YA Fantasy

A peek into Cardan's past with beautiful artwork!



What I'm listening to...


"Dream" by Imagine Dragons

This song is a 2020 mood.


"Grey" by Exes

Such a romantic and pretty song. It quickly got added to my writing playlist.


The Coffee Break Spanish podcast

A free podcast that teaches you Spanish in short, easy to follow lessons. I started with Season 1, Episode 1 and have been doing roughly one a week. I can normally get through a lesson while cleaning up the kitchen after dinner.



Blessings,

J 💙



Comments

Popular Posts