Poem

Normally, I like to start the blog with something that's been on my mind or heart. But this time around, I didn't really have anything to share. This bothered me a bit until I realized I still hadn't posted a poem I recently discovered in a library book. And it's absolutely ponder-worthy!


"We Wear the Mask"

by Paul Laurence Dunbar


We wear the mask that grins and lies,

It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes--

This debt we pay to human guile;

With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,

And mouth with myriad subtleties.


Why should the world be over-wise,

In counting all our tears and sighs?

Nay, let them only see us, while

We wear the mask.


We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries

To thee from tortured souls arise.

We sing, but oh the clay is vile

Beneath our feet, and long the mile;

But let the world dream otherwise,

We wear the mask!



What I've been reading . . .

Thorn by Intisar Khanani

YA Fantasy


*The Winner's Curse (The Winner's trilogy, Bk. 1)

*The Winner's Crime (Winner's, Bk. 2)

*The Winner's Kiss (Winner's, Bk. 3)

by Marie Rutkoski

YA Fantasy

He stared up at her, jawline tight, and she didn't understand how it could still be there in his face: that hard expectation, that angry faith. Don't fail me, his eyes said. Don't fail yourself. --The Winner's Crime

If you can't tell from the fact that I read this entire series in a month, I absolutely loved it! Forbidden romance. Spies and secrets. Battle scenes. I could not get enough and highly recommend it. Four and half stars!


Happy Little Accidents: The Wit & Wisdom of Bob Ross compiled by Michelle Witte

Nonfiction


Unstuck: Letting Go of the Myths Keeping You from Who You Were Created to Be by Kim Anderson

Nonfiction

I kept fifteen quotes from this little book. There are so many good ones! But I'll just share one here. It's both fun and truthful.

Very often, women who struggle with self-compassion punish themselves any time they deviate from the primrose path of sunshine and rainbows.



What I've been listening to . . .

Anything by Steffany Gretzinger!


Currently enjoying . . .

Micellar cleansing water. I was using makeup remover towelettes for a while and tearing the wipes in half to save on money. (Also, how big do they think ladies' faces are?) I thought there had to be a more affordable option. After trying a name brand of micellar water and being fairly impressed with it, I switched to a knock off brand. I'm paying a fifth of the price for something that lasts at least twice as long and works just as well.



Blessings,

--

Comments

Popular Posts