A Few Fun Things

 For those of you who may have missed it, I did an extra blog post last month. If you haven't ordered your copy of Champion's Key yet, you may want to check out said post as it features a sneak peek of the prologue and first chapter. I'm also selling copies of Key for those of you who live locally. Swing by the Flora-Monroe Township Public Library to order a signed copy of my book and receive a free bookmark with your purchase. Offer ends October fourteenth.



Reading . . .

Just Look Up by Courtney Walsh

Harbor Pointe, Bk. 1

Christian/Contemporary Romance


What Happened to You?: Conversations on Trauma, Resilience, and Healing by Bruce D. Perry & Oprah Winfrey

Nonfiction


Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross

Letters of Enchantment, Bk. 1

YA Fantasy



Music . . .

"Where's My Love" (alternate version) || SYML

I listened to this song on a loop while drafting the intro to Champion's Sword. There's a video on YouTube that I found later that may be the original source of this alternate, slowed-down version (look for "Live from Record Parlour"). It's hauntingly beautiful and was the perfect song to write to for this scene.


"Renegades" || X Ambassadors


"Daylight" || David Kushner

Did I add this to a playlist for a story that's two books out from where I'm at right now? Why, yes. Yes, I did.🙈


"Roslyn" || Bon Iver & St. Vincent

I wonder why this one grabbed my attention.😂But seriously, if you like indie music, check this out. It has a similar sound to "Fear of the Water."



Writing . . .

As of today, my word count for Champion's Sword is 9,230. This means I'm roughly ten percent done with my first draft. I'm hoping to pick up speed as I get farther in. Since this is a series, it means I can't draft as I normally would--with the abandon of a city dog who just moved into the country and suddenly has the freedom to roam the biggest yard the dog has ever seen. This book is forcing me to be very intentional about what I'm writing. My desk is covered in notes, and I sort of feel like I'm making a Jenga tower, carefully adding one block at a time. Normally, I have several important plot points in my head (along with facts about certain characters and a sense of the story's "vibe") and I sort of play Connect the Dots as I draft, typing what I know and letting my imagination lead me to the next dot.

While it's a frustrating way to draft, I know it's important to the story. I'm looking forward to the lessons I'm bound to learn that I can apply to future books.



Blessings,

J



Comments

Popular Posts