Am I Becoming a Romance Reader?

Last week, I reached my highest weekly word count since January! I am quickly approaching the midpoint of this draft. While my goal is 95,000 words, I'm starting to give myself permission to have a lower total word count. I tend to overwrite then cut my draft down quite a bit. This time, however, I'm being much more methodical. So, I'm hoping it all works itself out in the end.

This book is also different in that my chapters are way shorter. And I'm writing from four POVs with a fifth popping in. One of these characters is my villain, the Shadow Master. I never thought I'd be writing from a villain's perspective, but here we are. Fenix has a flare for the dramatic, so I shouldn't be surprised that he's been demanding attention.๐Ÿ˜†I'm finding it oddly enjoyable.



Reading . . .

Tales From a Haunted Pineapple by Stephen Hillenburg

SpongeBob Comics, Bk. 3

Children's Graphic Novel

I always have trouble getting in that last book for our library's Winter Reading program. I end up grabbing a graphic novel or book of poetry so I can get that prize! Also, I just like SpongeBob.๐Ÿ˜‰


The Fatherless Daughter Project: Understanding Our Losses and Reclaiming Our Lives by Denna Babul & Karin Smithson

Nonfiction

Audiobook

I'm not a big fan of audiobooks, but they're the fastest way for me to get through nonfiction books, which are decidedly less interesting than fiction. This one was definitely well narrated.


The Hundred Loves of Juliet by Evelyn Skye

Fantasy/Magical Realism

A unique twist on Romeo & Juliet that I thoroughly enjoyed!


The Cheat Sheet by Sarah Adams

Romance

I'm not sure at this point if I'm in desperate need of cozy books or if Sarah is making me something I never thought I'd be, a lover of romance novels. Honestly, I think it's a bit of both.๐Ÿ˜‚Romance novels often come off as flat for me. I like there to be a fantasy element as you all know. You also run the risk of spice with them. That's not to say that Sarah's books don't have spice. They do. But Practice Makes Perfect and The Cheat Sheet both sort of walk a fine line between spice and closed door.

I have another book of hers coming. I'll be sure to share my thoughts on this one.



Music . . .

"I'm Only Getting Started" || Avi Kaplan



Enjoying . . .

Scalloped potatoes. A YouTuber I was following for a while shared her favorite cookbook, Mennonite Country-Style Recipes by Esther H. Shank. I already have a recipe for cheesy potatoes that's really yummy, but I don't like that it uses condensed cheese soup. For this recipe, you make your own sauce, and it's really simple. Her tuna patties are easy to make as well and super delicious.



Blessings,

J

Comments

Popular Posts