Skip to main content

Audiobooks, a Pigeon, & Fall Content

 After taking it slow this round of content edits, I feel like I'm beginning to pick up the pace. I'm officially halfway through! My plan is to apply for copyright once I've completed this round. Then I'll move on to line edits. Basically, I'll go through the manuscript line by line and make sure that all the sentences sound correct, commas are where they belong, etc. Then it's on to formatting, cover design, and publication!

This will be a series about book lovers who live in the same small town. You'll be able to read them out of order or as standalones, though reading them in order will be helpful. The main characters are all librarians, part of a book club, and/or just general readers. Don't let the title of the first book fool you--My Sci-fi Library Romance--this is a contemporary romance/Christian fiction series and not fantasy. MS-FLR is a nerdy romance about two librarians who really love books and their favorite fantasy TV show.

So, stay tuned! I can't wait to introduce you to Jasper & Lark, Felicity, Mandie, & the rest!



Reading . . .

I began this month with a couple of audiobooks by Adrienne Young, starting with another listen of Sky in the Deep. Previously, I had tried to read a physical copy of A Sea of Unspoken Things but ended up putting it down. At the time, I thought it was because it felt too much like Spells for Forgetting. And while that is part of it, I came across a descriptor for the book that labeled it "leisurely paced." I found this to be true, which made it feel different for one of her books, not bad, just different.

Then I read Dream More by Dolly Parton. This is a quick little read that will have you tearing up one moment and laughing the next.

Lastly, I read The Sheriffs of Savage Wells by Sarah M. Eden. This is a clean romance that is sort of Wild West meets sweet-but-meddlesome small town. It had action, romance, and a delightful amount of humor. This is a definite recommend!



Enjoying . . .

Stuart Fails to Save the Universe (HBO Max)

I won't pretend to fully understand the premise, but, essentially Leonard and Sheldon build some sort of device. Stuart and his friends find themselves jumping from one alternate reality to another in an attempt to save the world. Travelling with him are his girlfriend Denise, geologist Bert Kibbler, and physicist Barry Kripke. This is a spin-off of The Big Band Theory that is very different from the original show while maintaining enough elements to feel familiar and satisfying.

Be warned, this show is on HBO Max. It contains some adult content, violence, and a fair amount of language.


Anna Pigeon (USA)

To be completely honest, I wasn't sure about this show in the beginning. The main character is a park ranger, who chose her occupation after the murder of her husband. Played by Tracy Spiridakos, who previously played Hailey Upton on Chicago P.D., she is also a broken and gritty sort of character but in a very different sort of way. I struggled to connect with her character since she was less like Hailey than I was expecting. And I really, really didn't like the show's name.

However, it's definitely grown on me. At the end of episode eight, which ends with a cliffhanger, I told my husband, "That had better not be the last episode of the season. I need to know what happens!" The show has plenty of action as there is always a crime or murder for Anna to investigate. There's also a community/family aspect. Anna is a loner, her ways slowly being worn down and tested when she finds herself in need of help and friends, most often found in the team she's a part of.

My favorite character is Zoey Bear Child. She's young, eager to help, kind, and often offering surprising wisdom. I also find her really funny! There's one episode where she's mad at their boss because she thinks Anna's in trouble, and he thinks Anna's probably split because that's what she does. Zoey turns to leave and he asks, "Hey . . . Where are you going?" Mad, frustrated, and determined to find Anna, she replies, "Taking a sick day. I got cramps!"๐Ÿคฃ


Fall content on YouTube

Mostly, this has consisted of rewatching old Rachel Maksy and Hailey Post videos. Whether it's making fall desserts, decorating for the season, or sewing fall-inspired clothes, I am here for it.๐Ÿ‚



Life . . .

My garden is winding down, some of it quite literally drying and shriveling up. So, I pulled up anything dead or not producing. I have a few tomato plants left that are periodically giving me a few last tomatoes, and I'm already thinking about what I want next year's garden to look like.


Lately, I've gotten into baking bread and breakfast cookies. I don't get to it every week. But when I have time, I like to bake both as healthier alternatives to storebought bread and snacks. The bread is sort of a "biscuit" texture, requiring only self-rising flour and milk. Most mornings, I have peanut butter and banana slices on toast for breakfast. The cookies are mainly oats, applesauce, and mashed bananas. They're a guilt-free treat I can take to work when I need a grab-and-go snack.

You can find the bread recipe on YouTube by searching for Whippoorwill Holler's two-ingredient bread video. The recipe for the cookies is called "Healthy Banana Breakfast Cookies" and is on the website No Diets Allowed.



Talk to you soon,

Jessica ♡



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring is Here!๐ŸŒท

 Happy spring, friends!๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒฑ We've had a lot of rain here in the Hoosier state. It's getting warmer, and things are greening up. I can't wait for sunny days when I can go for walks and start working on my garden. This year, I'm planning to try my hand at container gardening. My garden plot is pretty small to start with. I like things that are straightforward and practical. So, this seems like it might be a good fit. And less weeding! Which is good, because I'm continuing to work through final tweaks for Champion's Sword . I should be done by the end of April. Then I'll move on to formatting, followed by one final read to check for commas and such. I'm looking forward to refilling my creative well and returning to drafting after so long in editing land.๐Ÿ˜‰ Reading . . . This month, I re-read Spells for Forgetting  by Adrienne Young. And I finally got my hands on Ignite  by Kara Swanson. If you've read Champion's Key , you'll understand why this ...

Visuals 2

I have been so busy this week, friends. How about you? I'm also super excited about "A Desperate Love" coming out! As we get closer to the release, I've been thinking about how crazy this journey has been. Did you know that I originally wrote the entire thing out with pencil and paper? The Entire Thing! Who does that? Me, apparently! Most recently I've been doing my editing amid construction noise.  This process has included, but has not been limited to, writing in my dining room within reach of a basketball hoop, saving money for a year to buy my Chrome Book, learning how to market myself online, typing for hours , going into work on my days off to type . . . etc., etc. Honestly, it is a story in itself! And now, I present to you, more pictures from my Desperate Love Pinterest board. These are a few of the pictures I used to inspire me and to keep me focused on what I had in mind. How I envision Lady Olivia. How I envi...

My Book, Vikings, and Fall

Obviously, the first thing I'm going to mention in this week's blog is the fact that A Desperate Love  has officially released! Yay!๐Ÿ˜ For those of you who live here, I am doing a giveaway at the Flora Library. Why not swing by and enter (Rules prohibit family from entering. Sorry!)? Grab a free key chain while you're at it (I made them myself, so supplies are limited.) ๐Ÿ•ฎ One of my sister's posted this picture of her copy of my book. Isn't it great? Speaking of sisters, another sister (I have a lot of them๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’œ) text me her opinion/personal review of my book. "AWESOME! I loved it! It was well written, intriguing, suspenseful, and had Christian principles without being cheesy!" --H. Maybe she's partial, but it made me feel so loved. ๐Ÿ’™ ๐Ÿ•ฎ Thing I am watching this week: The History Channel's Vikings . I am 2/3 of the way through Season 1. I wasn't sure at first, but...